Thursday, August 18, 2011

more

Last night I had one of those mommy moments that is so great it makes you heart beat fast and your eyes get glossy. One of those moments where you have no idea how you could be more proud of your child.

We made a date with family to go to the annual Pirate Pack day at White Spot. For those of you that don't know, a pirate pack is a kids meal that comes served in a paper pirate ship. It comes with a burger/fish and chips/mac and cheese a gold chocolate coin, a drink and icecream. I remember eating them when I was a kid and adults seem to get nostalgic for them. The had an adult pirate pack day yesterday to raise money for Zajac Ranch. Zajac Ranch gives children with serious and chronic illnesses as well as disabilities a chance to go to summer camp. It is really fantastic and I thought the cause deserved some of our money. Plus I wanted a pirate pack :)

The girls and I got there early, and shortly after Mark and Sarah got there. While we were waiting for everyone else to arrive I decided that I would give Ola some cereal bites. This is nothing new. I usually use them as a distraction until we actually eat. She ate a few, then it happened...

She gracefully brought her hands up in front of her, made points with her fingertips and tapped them together.

"more"

She signed "more"!

I cheered and gave her more cereal bites, waited and she did it again!

I hugged her and we all clapped and I cried.

Crying seems so silly, but I couldn't help it. Knowing that she is understanding and comprehending what is happening is such a huge deal. It helps me to remember why we are spending so much time working on sign language and working with her to do different gestures. It makes me really happy that she is getting it. I knew she would but to actually see things happening is awesome.

Raising money last night for a camp that Ola will benefit from was great and having her do her first sign last night made the whole evening a little bit sweeter.

checking out the menu

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwwww, Leanna! I actually just said that out loud! That is just so great! We just started working on signs with Amos, too. Way to go, Ola! :)