Wednesday, March 23, 2011

March 21st, just 2 days late

World Down syndrome day was celebrated on March 21st.  Now I don't know how I missed the memo, but I wasn't even aware of this until a few of my other Ds friends on facebook started posting things about it. So now you all know March 21st ( March for the 3rd copy of the 21st chromosome) is World Down syndrome day and next year I will try to remember it.

I don't want to come on here and go on and on about Ds, this blog is to talk about my family's life and my family's life does not revolve around the Down syndrome it is just a small part of it.

Instead I just wanted to come on here and mention that this extra little chromosome scared the crap out of me almost a year ago, but as much as is scared me, it helped show me that I am a stronger person than I ever gave myself credit for. If I ever imagined that I might have had a child with a differing ability I would have told you that I couldn't do it. I would have said no way, no thanks, nope, not doing it, I couldn't handle it, but I can, and I am.

So thanks Down syndrome for pushing me down and making me cry 11 months ago. 

I just want to let you know that after some tears I got right back up, smacked the dirt off my knees, flipped you the bird and discovered that I am strong! 

and positive!

and awesome! haha!

and proudly sporting a yellow and blue Ds awareness bracelet hoping someone, anyone will ask me what it's for!

(nothing like a little self back patting to put a smile on my face!)

So happy belated (but not intentionally forgotten) World Down syndrome awareness day!

Ola was too busy jumping in the jolly jumper to take part in this picture.

No comments: