Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ds Awareness day #10 and Thanksgiving

It is Thanksgiving this weekend in BC and I have a lot to be Thankful for this year.

I finished school, had a beautiful daughter, celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary, got my kitchen renovated!, had a first day of preschool to celebrate, and first swimming lessons, first smiles, first chatting noises, entered the why, mommy why stage of toddlerhood, and laughed and loved a lot!

My family and friends have been so awesome to me in the last 6 months and I don't think that they can ever be repaid for their help. The spring was a really rough patch around here and I am really glad that we have moved through summer and are heading in to fall which is my favourite season.

I went to church with Mark today and the priest was saying something along the lines of that in order for your thanks to mean something you have to direct it at certain people with an explanation as to why you are thanking them. You can't just throw out a general Thanks and expect people to know it was meant for them.

I know that I have a lot of people to Thank but for now, I am just going to write to the main people that I interact with on a daily basis.

Mom: I am seriously going to try not to cry right now. You have been such a huge help to me in the last few months that I have no idea what I would have done without you. You have listened to me cry, and complain, and feel sorry for myself. I appreciate every word that you said to me, and that you made me believe that I can do anything and that I am stronger than I ever gave myself credit for. You made me realize that I CAN do it. Thank You!

Dad: Thank You for always reminding about what Ola can do. You are always there reminding me how great she is doing and I Thank You!

Mark: I know you have no choice but to be here, and that sometimes it gets hard. Sometimes I get frazzled and freak out, but I need you to know that no matter what I love you and I need you here as part of the team. I appreciate all the things you do, and that you are willing to work so hard to support our family solely so that I can stay here with the girls. You have no idea what that means to me. I love you and Thank You!

Brad and Sarah: Thanks for being there and helping out when I need it. The last minute babysitting and hanging out with Poppy while I go to appointments and stuff are amazing. Thanks for humouring Poppy every time she sees you and taking her to see the ferrets, for playing store with her, reading to her, and taking her for walks. It means a lot to her! Thank You!

Cynthia: Ever since the call to you when Ola was born you have continually kept me going and reminding me to take everyday an hour at a time. I told you that you are my Mommy hero and you truly are. I admire your creativity and your drive to get things done! Thanks for texting with me everyday, it's weird day when I don't hear from you! Thank You!

Auntie B and Grandma Soks: Thanks for taking the girls every week for me so that I can have a few hours to myself, or to clean the chickens! The girls love being with you and I am so glad that they get to be with you as much as I did when I was growing up. Thank You!

I know lots more people need shout outs, but you will have to forgive me, I have to go get ready to eat some pie (oh and Turkey too!)

But before I go I need to say something about Ds. Did you know that kids with Ds sometimes only have one crease that runs across the palm of their hand. It's called a Simian crease. It occurs in the normal population but is very common in people with Ds, and it is a common characteristic that they look for when pre-determining Ds at birth. Ola doesn't have this, but lots of kids with Ds do.

No comments: